Monday, May 5, 2008

Selkie, Part II

The finished seal half -- it will be trimmed with seaweed made from muslin and cheesecloth (see the little scraps here and there?). I replaced the original green thread cords with sturdier ties. It's not proportionally perfect, but it'll do for a first try. All she needs is some sand and shells....



Selkies are able to transform to human form by shedding their seal skins and can revert to seal form by putting their selkie skin back on. Stories concerning selkies are generally romantic tragedies. Sometimes the human will not know that their lover is a selkie, and wakes to find them gone. Other times the human will hide the selkie's skin, thus preventing them from returning to seal form.

A selkie can only make contact with one particular human for a short amount of time before they must return to the sea. They are not able to make contact with that human again for seven years, unless the human is to steal their selkie's skin and hide it or burn it. (Wikipedia)

1 comment:

Artfulife said...

You have been so busy! All of the new pieces look so great. I'm with you, the little wooden pull toys are so cute. I'm sorry I haven't written sooner. I have been trying to get back into the swing of things. I am going to try to do a festival and set up a booth in the middle of July at the Lvander Festival. I feel a little lost when I don't have a set date that work has to be accomplished. This will motivate me to keep working on stuff. Hope all of you are well up at the cabin, and hope to talk to you soon.