Monday, July 12, 2010

A Few of Our Favorite Things: Disney Fun Farm


This came in the mail today. Freshly ordered from Ebay, it's a blast from the past ... and one increasingly hard to find, since one of the set's key components was recalled during the 1980's.


The original tractor I owned was yellow; the original farm dog was eaten by its real-life counterpart, a German Shepherd mix breed named Lady, who was devoted to children (but a sucker for soft, chewy plastic toys).




My sister absolutely loved this plastic orange chicken and named it "Scruffy". He appeared in several childhood games involving dogs, cats, intrigue, and a plastic orange racecar and helicopter I purchased specially for him one Christmas.

She still has the racecar and helicopter somewhere. Along with the original "Scruffy", now living up to his name after a childhood of complicated and daring adventures.

Daisy was my favorite. I eventually isolated her from the box and caried her around in my pockets, along with a plastic Playskool peg-style Minnie Mouse (another story for another time). Mickey and Minnie gradually disappeared into the Realm of Tiny Lost Plastic Things, where most miniature childhood toys eventually go.


I hope they met up with that Polly Pocket cat we lost. And the Barbies' Thanksgiving turkey, too.

Last time I saw the original pig from this set, he was a grimy little figure in a tin box with a series of plastic puppies, whom I think "adopted" him into their family.

I have no idea what happened to the original weathervane and silo top. In fact, I forgot it even had such feature until this one arrived. It now joins the remainder pieces in the game closet when not on display, next to the plastic fort, Barbie Christmas ornaments, and other treasures in storage between seasons.

1 comment:

Roses and Lilacs said...

That takes me back a few years:) We had a miss matched collection of farm or ranch toys featuring horses, dogs, cars, fences and a few people. Mostly we played with the horses. Somewhere we got hold of some paint and painted the horses black or white.
Wish I still had them.
Marnie