Friday, February 8, 2008

Kid's (at Heart) Stuff: The Art of Children's Books and Grown-Ups



{--A weird little variation on the Grinch's usual cover.......

I'm a huge fan of children's literature, especially the classic or "vintage" kind. I still have my ratty dog-eaten copy of Panda Cake (complete with crayon marks on the illustrations) and the book of Little Things my dolls used to read (just right size for tiny hands.




My last good children's book purchase was a 1920's copy of A Child's Garden of Verses. It's what I call "the good edition" since the illustrator is Jessie Wilcox Smith (of the Water-Babies and Back of the North Wind fame). This one's a little brown and beaten, but it's worth it to own a copy. I grew up with a 1940's edition virtually identical, but much battered from generations of readers.




Stevenson's verses have been reissued with multiple illustrators, but Smith's work is unbeatable for creating the Land of Counterpane and The Swing....

1 comment:

Artfulife said...

You hit a huge place in my heart when you talk about childrens books. I always wanted to illustrate childrens books. There are many favorites when it comes to childrens books, but Maurice Sendeck is my all time favorite. I hope the creative process is going well for you all up at the Cordwood cabin. Take care.